Search This Blog

Saturday, December 15, 2018

A Shepherd’s Tale

                    Listen, my friend to my amazing story.

It’s so cold tonight. The stars are so bright and seem so close, I could almost reach out and touch one. I snuggle close to the lamb who was born last night. His mother died in the birth and he seems so forlorn. One of the other ewes is nursing him so he should be fine.

The other shepherds are calming their sheep too. Something’s in the air. I wonder if there is a wolf or bear close by. 


                I take the Hanukkah lamb to Simeon

I really enjoy my sheep. I even like the earthy smell. All the Jews turn up their noses to me and how I smell except that holy man, Simeon who stays in the temple. He is ancient but so kind to everyone. When I delivered his Hanukkah lamb, he complimented me about how perfect it was. No one else has ever even given me the time of day. He even took the time to tell me about God’s promise to him that he, Simeon would not die before he sees God’s son. Rabbi Simeon is so certain that God will honor His promise. I have to wonder because the good Rabbi is so old.

I wish I could see God’s son. I’m only a poor shepherd and no one special. But I can dream.


                      The angels come with their message of love.

What’s happening? The sky is getting so bright. The sheep are bleating and running around. There are huge, glowing, flying men with wings coming near us, singing about glory to God and peace and that the Son of God is born. They tell us not to be afraid, but I am terrified. After a while I calm down and so do the sheep. They tell us that they bring good news for all men, including us poor shepherds, that the Son of God was born tonight and is lying in a manger in a stable in Bethlehem. They tell us that we need to go and see for ourselves and to worship him. They tell us that we need to spread this news that will bring great JOY to all men.

I am no longer afraid. I am so excited that I hurry with the other shepherds to Bethlehem. There is a star that seems to be guiding us to a stable behind an inn. We slowly walk into the stable. There in the center of the room is a tiny baby wrapped in cloths lying in the manger. His mother sits beside him, smiling at him. She is so young and looks so tired. A young man stands guard over the mother and child. He looks so proud and reverent as though he too heard the angels’ message. 


                          I bring my lamb to the Son of God.

Each of us shepherds slowly approach the mother and baby. Each has brought a present of food or an animal. I brought my orphaned lamb to keep the baby warm on this cold night. As I offer it to the mother and baby, the mother smiles at me and tells me it is a wonderful gift and that she really appreciates it. She says her son does too.

As she says this, the tiny baby wakes and smiles at me. I am dumb-founded! The angels told us this is the Son of God! I cannot believe that the Son of God would appreciate a gift from lowly me. This is a moment that I will treasure forever! I can hear the angels singing and see the brilliant light of the star. I can see the animals in the stable. Each is blurring as the tears come to my eyes. I am so happy to be here right now. Never in my life have I done anything as important as this, not even when I married Merriam. Not even when my children were born. 



I slowly leave with the other shepherds. We hate to leave but our sheep must be tended. The man tells us it’s ok to leave and the baby seems to wave goodbye to us. We hurry back to our flocks.

I can’t wait to tell my Marian and Jacob what I saw.

I can’t wait to run to the temple tomorrow to tell Rabbi Simeon that I saw the Son of God!


In the same region there were some shepherds staying out in the fields and keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord suddenly stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them; and they were terribly frightened. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. “This will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there appeared with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
“Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace among men with whom He is pleased.”
When the angels had gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds began saying to one another, “Let us go straight to Bethlehem then, and see this thing that has happened which the Lord has made known to us.” So they came in a hurry and found their way to Mary and Joseph, and the baby as He lay in the manger. When they had seen this, they made known the statement which had been told them about this Child. And all who heard it wondered at the things which were told them by the shepherds. But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart. The shepherds went back, glorifying and praising God for all that they had heard and seen, just as had been told them.


I cannot imagine the joy that the shepherds must have felt to know that they were actually seeing the Son of God and to know that God trusted them to be the first visitors.

That JOY can be yours and mine if we just open our hearts to Him and let Him fill us with His love for eternity.

Thank you for reading my blogs!  You bless me when you do.  

Be blessed, my friend for a most JOYOUS Christmas and 2019.

Remember to keep Christ in Christmas.  He is indeed the reason for the season.  And remember those less fortunate.

All  photos taken by Debbie McEwen
All bible reference from the NIV
     unless otherwise noted.
If you are interested,
    you can click on the Blog Archive
    dates on the top right side of this post
    to connect to previous blog posts.
I would love to hear from you either 
    on the comment section of this blog post
    or through my email.
    debbieamcewen@gmail.com
I usually post every other Saturday.
Lately I have been very busy with Grandma duties on weekends 
    so I may try to post during the week.
The next post should be in about 2 weeks.

   River in Winthrop, NY.  There is a halo or "sundog" around the sun that I did not see but that the camera picked up.  There is so much that God will show all of us if we just open our eyes and hearts to Him,  especially at this JOYOUS time of year.





4 comments:

  1. A time of joy, and bless you and your loved ones at this time of year The sundog, it is the sky telling you a storm is coming. High Cirrus ice crystals making tiny rainbows that all blend together to make that magnificent halo . God works in beautiful ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your good wishes and the same to you and yours at this time and all through the coming year. And thank you for explaining what a sundog. God does indeed work in beautiful ways to feed our souls with his love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beauty in Gods gift of Nature heals all of us in his humble,silent and loving way. We need to try to be aware of the teaching moments that Jesus provides every day, in every way. Prayers of peace and protection to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great observations. Blessings, my friend for a wonderful Christmas and a most blessed New Year. Debbie

    ReplyDelete