Search This Blog

Saturday, June 3, 2017

What Will You Do with Your Allowance?

                      River Road between Norfolk and Raymondville, NY
There is a pile of rocks in the middle of this field that allows the flowers to grow undisturbed.  Sometimes our disadvantages can be blessings in disguise that allow us to develop talents that we never would have considered if not for that pesky "disadvantage or disability!"

When we were born, we were each given an allowance by God. 


                           Our true colors show the brightest in adversity 
                                      as when a storm is brewing.

We were born into our family which may have lots or little money. We might or might not be beautiful or strong or athletic. We might be talented in some area. We each had a series of experiences that shaped us into the people we are now. 

Each of our positive and negative qualities is our allowance. Even negative ones can be positive if used in the right way. 

For example, someone who is stubborn is also persistent and may work very hard to achieve a goal. Someone who is not very strong or athletic may have developed skills observing others and could use those skills to help someone who is athletic to get better at their sport.


This dandelion was created by Our Maker to bloom and die to spread its seeds and birth more dandelions.
We were born and live to die to self, to bloom in the life of Our Maker,
to spread His Word and birth more Christians.

We may think we earned our skills or allowance but whatever we have, whatever we were born with or born into is not in our control. Some call it the luck of the draw. I chose to call it our allowance from God.

What does all this mean? It means that we are what we are by the grace of God and not due to anything we had control over or could earn.
What are we supposed to do with our allowance? 

I think we need to make the best with whatever we have. 


             This little pink wildflower blooms with the beauty of God 
                             despite any and all adversity.

God tells us that we need to love Him first and best. We need to follow His direction. We need to repent of our sins, which is telling God we are sorry for what we did wrong and try our best to not sin again. 

Second we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. That means we are to treat each other the way we want to be treated. I think it means we look for opportunities to help others and then do what is right even when it’s not convenient or pleasant. 

That’s also a great way to teach others about God and God’s love – by example.


            The lily of the valley is not showy but its fragrance is so sweet.
                       When we really practice what Jesus taught, 
                 we too will leave a "sweet fragrance" by our actions.

This doesn’t mean that we don’t take care of ourselves or our families. God wants us to enjoy our lives. He gave us much to enjoy. But it does mean that we owe everything we have to God and His grace. And it means that we must give our best to Him just as He gave His best to us.

God gives us everything and just asks that we give Him one tenth of our allowance. That means we get to keep the other nine tenths that He gave us! 

Would you give so much with so little return? God does. What a bargain!

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:19 

And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEARTAND WITH ALL YOUR SOULAND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’ “This is the great and foremost commandment. “The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.  Matthew 22: 37-39


                                                 Sunrise


                                   Sunset
The Lord is with you from the moment you awake until you close your eyes.  He is with you all night long and through the most difficult and the best times of your life.  He will never leave your side and He will help you through whatever comes your way.

Addendum:  One of the most important parts of our allowance is our time.  How we spend it is so important.  Our time with God is critical.  When He knocks on the door each morning, open the door, invite Him in and speak with Him as you would with your very best friend.  He's waiting patiently for you.
P.S. Some days get very hectic.  If you don't have time for a long conversation with God, send Him a quick "text" in your thoughts and let Him know you welcome Him every day.




          This picture was taken on Miner St. Canton.  

River seen on River Road near Raymondville, NY

       When we enjoy the beauty of nature 
         it would be difficult not to contemplate on the Maker 
        who provides such beauty for us to enjoy.



Please Come In, Lord
(a dialog with God)
It’s morning

I can hear you knocking at my door, Lord

Please come in

Please sit with me and talk with me

Please open my heart to listen to you and only You

Please take away all the distractions

Begone satan, you are not wanted or welcomed

Begone from my day, from my thoughts, from my words and deeds

Lord, You are welcome

I choose you, Lord, today

I ask You to please stay with me all day

Please be my constant companion and my guide

Lord, how are you today?

What would You tell me?

My child

You know how much I love you

And I love You, too, Lord

You know I wish you well

Yes, Lord

I know you read my Book

Yes, Lord

You ask for my company

And that is what I really want, your time with me


I will teach you as the day progresses, as things come up in your life

I will speak in my still small voice and tell you what to do and what not to do


I don’t always listen well, Lord but I really want to

My willfulness gets in the way and I am so sorry

I know child

I know you are trying and that is what I seek

The harder you try, the more you will achieve and the closer to Me you will become

You will make mistakes and commit sins but as long as you keep trying your hardest and continue to repent, I will forgive you

You are now Mine and I never let go of what is Mine

Don’t ever forget that

Some days will be wonderful

Some days will be incredibly difficult

Take my hand and I will walk with you every single day of your life, shaping you and molding you into the child I will take home to paradise

Come walk with me today, child

Today is one day closer to the day I will take you Home


Thank you so much, Lord.  Amen



Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 
Revelation 3:20


     Just as the patches of grass are in the middle of this river near Norfolk, NY, 
            we are afloat in the river of life that can have so much turmoil.  
     God will take our hand and guide us home if we only invite Him in our lives.

****************************




Voice of the Martyrs 



Please pray for our brothers and sisters who do not have the freedom to worship as they choose.
Many suffer and die for their faith.

We are so blessed to worship as we choose.
Many died to give us this freedom
May we never lose this freedom.

And may we never take it for granted.


****************************************************
Knapps Station Community Church

Would you like a fresh Strawberry Shortcake dessert after a delicious roast pork dinner for only $8.00? Check us out on June 15, 2017.

******************************************

My friend Jean Oathout shares a blog post explaining why we may wrestle when we pray and why that has great value to us.  I invite you to check it out.

******************************************


I invite you to check out my friend Jane Ault's latest blog post.  She explains how listening to God's still small voice has helped her bring so much peace into her life.

*****************************************
Blessing:

May you be greatly blessed my friend 
    when you accept Jesus' outstretched hand
May His still small voice guide you 
    to His amazing peace and JOY 
    that never fails you
And may you take your Father's hand as He 
    leads you home to paradise

*****************************************
All photos taken by Debbie and Tim McEwen unless otherwise noted- used with permission

All bible reference from the NIV
   unless otherwise noted
If you are interested,
   you can click on the Blog Archive 
  dates on the top right side of this post
  to connect 
to previous blog posts

I would love to hear from you either on the
   comment section of this blog post
   or through my email

   debbieamcewen@gmail.com 
I post every other Saturday 

The next post will be June 17, 2017


My husband, Tim took this picture of a low flying jet from our home.  We do not live near an airport and have wondered why it was so close.


              It's never too late to invite Him in.  
          Jesus is delighted to be in your company 
                      even if it's sunset!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog post as always. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, God has given you a unique allowance of creativity and verbal expression. Thank you for investing it in the blog posts that you write. You cause my heart to worship.

    ReplyDelete