Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2016

How Much Do I Trust You, God?

Bridge over river between Potsdam and Hopkinton, NY
When we stand on a bridge and watch the river below us, we trust that the bridge is safe.
When we walk through life, we can trust that God will be with us no matter what life hands us.


How much do I really trust God?

I’d like to think that I trust Him completely.
Why then is there a little part of me that tries to take control and make things happen on my own?

Why do I think I know more or could possibly accomplish more than the Great I Am who created the heavens and the earth out of nothing but His love?

Why do I trust with some things but not with everything?

God is my father, my Abba, my Daddy.

On one level I know that He can really do it all.


Why then is there that little place that sometimes doubts, just a little?

I wish it wasn’t so.

I’m learning to trust more all the time,
but I am really a work in progress Lord, 
and I need lots of help in so many areas.

Thank you Lord that You are so patient and loving, so gracious and forgiving.

Otherwise I surely would be lost.

I want to be able to say and totally believe with every ounce of my being that I trust You completely.

I believe, Lord.  Please help my unbelief.


The God who rescued me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will rescue me from the hand of the Philistine.”  1 Samuel 17:37

David said this before he defeated Goliath.

At the time, David was just a boy, probably a young teenager. 

The Philistine army had invaded the land of the Israelites and David’s brothers went off to fight a battle.  David’s father, Jesse sent David with food to the site of the battle to check out the welfare of his brothers. 

When David got to the battle, he found that the Israelites were paralyzed by fear.  

The Philistines had a huge giant of a man who challenged any one of the Israelites to come and fight him.  
Everyone was afraid.  David was not. 

He trusted that God would protect him just as God had protected him all the times he fought off predators who attacked the sheep that he defended. 

David challenged Goliath, “in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied” (verse 45).   

Goliath was unbeaten and very sure of himself.

Goliath had a huge spear, shield, javelin and lots of armor.  

David had God on his side.  David had refused armor. Instead he just chose 5 smooth stones for his slingshot.    

David and Goliath ran toward each other.  Goliath raised his spear to kill the puny boy who dared to challenge him.  David chose one stone, put it in his slingshot and let it fly.

In that one motion, the boy, David killed the mighty Goliath and won the battle for the Israelites and for God.

Can we trust God completely?  

David trusted God and he beat a giant.  

Do we have any problem bigger than Goliath?  

God can overcome that too.


I paraphrased what you will find in 
     1 Samuel chapter 17.




God finds unique ways to tell us that He loves us.
This is a heart shaped repair patch in the pavement in the road in from of my driveway.  

Imagine what you will find if you keep your eyes and heart open to Him!



                              Delphenium

God is the master of details.
Notice the beautiful blending of blues and purples.


                         
                           Stella Doro Lily


                            Bleeding Heart


                                                Queen Anne's Lace

                    Anybody know what this is?


                         Lily pad on a pond

The next time you see a beautiful flower, really notice all the details, the scent and the delicate touch.
This is one of the many JOYS, God put on His earth for our enjoyment.
Just imagine the JOYS of heaven!


  




           At a little river near Santa Clara, NY

I know clouds are only bodies of water vapor BUT
when I look at the sky with all the beautiful cloud formations, my soul tells me that God painted them
with His mighty paintbrush just for us to enjoy.
Think of His love for you the next time you see a cloud. 

When you admire the beauty that God puts in His flowers and His clouds, imagine the love He puts in you:
You are made in His image and likeness 
            (Genesis 1:27)
He chose you because He loves you.
             (Deuteronomy 7:8)
You are fearfully and wonderfully made.
             (Psalms 139:14)
You are God's precious child and He loves you dearly.
             (Isiah 43:4)


                 Blue Heron photographed at Black Lake, NY




And the Rains Came

It has been so dry.
 
The ground was hard and the grass was turning brown.
 
It has not grown and did not need mowing this week. 

The flowers are still in bloom only because we water them.

The air has been damp and muggy but doesn’t help the growing stuff.

Pollen and dust have spread on the breezes.

The sky turned dark.  Rain was predicted.

And then the rains came, pouring in torrents.

In short order, puddles are forming on the hardened ground, 
soon to be absorbed.

The grass is already starting to become greener. 

Thunder rumbles.

Trees and bushes blow, trying to travel along with the sheets of rain.

Because they are firmly grounded and rooted deeply, they bend with the Southern gusts, but do not accompany the breezes.

Everyone and everything hunkers down to wait out this storm.


Welcome rain.  

Welcome this greening up of the earth.  

Welcome clean air so I can breathe easier.

Thank you Loving Maker for this reprieve.


                   Brook near Nicholville, NY




(Check out the website for directions and lots of other great information.)
It's a great place to feed your soul the "good stuff" from the Bible.

We just finished our week of Vacation Bible School. We were blessed with 59 children and almost as many volunteers. Praise God for His great blessings!



I would also like to suggest that you check out the blog page for my friend, Jean Oathout.  I have received much good information and many blessings from her blog:




is a recent post that I found helpful.



A Remembrance "You Can't Get Away"

When I was very small, I played "you can't get away" with my grandfather who raised me. He would carry me to my crib at bedtime and when he put me in, I would hang on as tightly as I could, for as long as I could, but eventually he would slip away so I would get to sleep.

Today I want to play "you can't get away" with God for real. I want to hang on tightly and never let go. I know He will never let me slip through His fingers. I want to rest in His arms for all of eternity.



Montrose Christian Writers Conference

I will attend this conference starting Monday 7-18 to Friday 7-22-2016 for the second year. It is located in Montrose, PA,
Last year, I got set up to start writing this blog.
My friend Jean Oathout has also been a great help in getting my blog going and keeping it on track. Thank you, Jean.
This year I have no idea what God has planned for me but I know it will be great. With Him and His love, it always is.


Book Reviews

Silver Linings, Keeping Faith During Tough Times was a gift.  This book is an inspiring collection of short articles, "snipits" and quotations to help us persevere when times are difficult or even seem impossible.

Memorable Scenes From Old Testament Homes

This book by Charles R. Swindoll gives us insight into the lives of some of the people of the Old Testament. It provides some understanding of why these people did what they did and their great faith in God.


The Blessing


May you be blessed each and every day of your life
   with wonder and awe at the the might and                majesty of your Loving Father.
May you never cease to be filled with the JOY
    of knowing that you are His precious child.
    His love for you is limitless!
Jesus died to prove this incredible love.
REJOICE and be glad that you are His!



Blessings for you,my friend for a wonderful week 
and a safe, happy holiday.

All photos taken by Debbie and Tim McEwen - 
  used with permission
All bible reference from the NIV unless otherwise noted
If you are interested, you can click on the Blog Archive 
  dates on the top right side of this post to connect 
  to previous blog posts
I would love to hear from you either on the comment 
  section of this blog post or through my email  
  debbieamcewen@gmail.com
I post every other Saturday 
The next post will be 7-30-2016


I hope to see you then. 





An egret nesting on a light pole in a field on the road to Saranac Lake, NY.

6 comments:

  1. Great post Debbie, thank you for your writing and your timing. It has helped me out. Here are some thoughts God has given me today that are similar to trusting God completely.
    God shares His heart and will with us. We pray for the wonderful things if God to bless those around us. We all need Him greatly. But sometimes God has to humble us through difficult trials to get us to a point of using us to bring about His will. This is where we have to stop fighting our circumstances and trust in Him completely. "He that began a good work in you shall carry it forth to completion".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have some very inspirational words yourself! It helps me to remember to just trust at all times. God has everything under control.
      May your week be greatly blessed, Jason.

      Delete
  2. This is an excellent message, Debbie. May God richly bless you in your efforts to honor Him in this ministry. I'm humbled to be of help, realizing that it's because of others helping me along with my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean: I really appreciate all the kindness you have shown me and all the patience and expertise you needed to help me with my blog posts. God Bless.

      Delete
  3. Lots of beauty, there, of all kinds. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave: As always, thank you for your kind words. Did you get the post 2 weeks ago? I tried to send and supposedly it didn't get to you. If you are interested, you can access it by clicking on the blog archives on the top right side of the blog. Thank you and God bless. Deebbie

    ReplyDelete